This session will review the basic concepts of staging, overall treatment paradigm, radiation specific recommendations, radiation simulation, planning and treatment aspects, and literature regarding extremity and retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas. This session will also review literature regarding hypofractionation for extremity soft tissue sarcomas and provide guidance on how best to incorporate this into practice. This session will also review literature regarding the role of radiation therapy for retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas and how best to incorporate radiation therapy into practice.
The activity is designed to meet the interests of radiation oncologists and radiation oncology residents.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to do the following:
- Implement the treatment paradigm as it relates to radiation therapy for extremity and retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas.
- Select patients with sarcoma who may benefit from hypofractionated regimens.
- Use safe and effective techniques (fractionation, target design, etc) supported by the prospective data on hypofractionated radiotherapy for sarcoma.
Safia K. Ahmed, MD is employed by Mayo Clinic, Phoenix and has no financial relationships with a commercial interest.
The person(s) above served as the developer(s) of this activity. Additionally, the Annual Refresher Course Planning Committee had control over the content of this activity.
The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing education to physicians.
ASTRO is awarded Deemed Status by the American Board of Radiology to provide SA-CME as part of Part II Maintenance of Certification.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education for physicians. ASTRO designates this for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 Certificate of AttendanceThis activity was designated for 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.