There are at least 50 histologic sub-types of soft tissue sarcoma. Because of the rarity and heterogeneity of these diseases, the majority of oncologists see very few patients with sarcoma in their practices. Yet, many patients with sarcoma are young and potentially curable with minimal functional morbidity. It is thus important for oncologists to have a good working knowledge of not only the appropriate management of soft tissue sarcoma, but also the appropriate radiotherapy techniques so that opportunities for cure with excellent functional outcome are not missed.
The activity is designed to meet the interests of practicing radiation oncologists, radiation oncology residents, medical and clinical physicists, nurses and all other health professionals involved in the field of radiation oncology.
Upon completion of this live activity, attendees should be able to do the following:
1. Describe the biology and pathology of sarcoma.
2. Identify the indications for radiation.
3. Explain better the techniques of radiation.
David Kirsch, MD, PhD, FASTRO is employed by Duke University and receives compensation/remuneration/funding from GlaxoSmithKline, Lumicell Diagnostics, Merck and XRAD Therapeutics and has ownership or investment interest in Lumicell Diagnostics, and XRAD Therapeutics.
The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing education to physicians.
ASTRO is awarded Deemed Status by the American Board of Radiology to provide SA-CME as part of Part II Maintenance of Certification.
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education for physicians. ASTRO designates this for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 0.50 Certificate of AttendanceThis activity was designated for 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.