ASTRO/SIO Joint Session-Update: Integrative Oncology in Cancer Care
Significant data reveal that cancer patients use complementary/integrative therapies and may not share this with their physician team. Beginning in the late 1990s, data emerged in the radiation oncology literature about the potential benefit of acupuncture for xerostomia after RT to the head and neck. This was supplemented by studies showing the benefit of manipulative therapy for post-operative edema, and of the survival benefit of exercise in certain cancer populations. On the 20th anniversary of the Society for Integrative Oncology, it is opportune to update the ASTRO membership on the most recent data on the subject.
- My Favorite Oncology Acupuncture Studies
Brian Lawenda, MD
- How Movement Fights Cancer: Harnessing the Benefits of Physical Activity
Matthew McCurdy, MD, PhD
- Empowering Cancer Patients through Lifestyle Medicine: Nutrition and Cancer
Amber G.B. Orman, MD
- Manipulative Therapy in Cancer Care
Tammy Mondry, PT, DPT, MSRS, CLT-LANA
- Models of Integrative Oncology: Integration into the Oncology Clinic
Ting Bao, MD, MS
- Empowering Cancer Patients through Lifestyle Medicine: HEAL: Cancer
Amber G.B. Orman, MD
- Q and A
This activity is available from January 9, 2024, through 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on January 8, 2026.
This activity was originally recorded at the 2023 ASTRO Annual Meeting.
The activity is designed to meet the interests of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons, nurses, radiation therapists, and residents.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Review the latest evidence and guidelines regarding the role of nutrition, physical activity, and weight management in cancer survivorship.
- Explain the potential benefits of integrative therapies for their patients.
- Relate how to appropriately implement these into their radiation oncology clinics.
- Stephen M. Sagar, MD, BS, MBBS, is employed by McMaster University.
- Brian D. Lawenda, MD, is employed by 21st Century Oncology and Genesis Care.
- Matthew R. McCurdy, MD, PhD, is employed by Citizens Medical Center.
- Amber G.B. Orman, MD, is employed by AdventHealth Medical Group. Dr. Orman is a Partner with Nephrology Associates of Central Florida.
- Tammy E. Mondry, PT, DPT, MSRS, CLT-LANA, is employed by and has a partnership with Cancer Therapy Specialists, Inc. and is an Independent Contractor with Gallien Therapy Services, Inc. Dr. Mondry receives honoraria from Klose Training and serves as a consultant with Teladoc Health.
- Ting Bao, MD, MS, is employed by Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
The person(s) above served as the developer(s) of this activity. Additionally, the Education Committee had control over the content of this activity. All relevant relationships have been mitigated.
The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing education to physicians.
ASTRO is awarded Deemed Status by the American Board of Radiology to provide SA-CME as part of Part II Maintenance of Certification.
- 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education for physicians. ASTRO designates this for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.25 Certificate of AttendanceThis activity was designated for 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
ASTRO members must log in to the ASTRO website to view and receive the member rate.
Student/Grad Student/PGY: $49
Postdoctoral Fellow: $49
No refunds, extensions, or substitutions will be made for those participants who, for any reason, have not completed the course by the end of the qualification date. The qualification date for each course is listed in the course catalog on the ASTRO website under availability.
Participants using ASTRO's online courses to satisfy the requirement of a Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program should verify the number, type and availability dates of any course before making a purchase. No refunds, extensions, or substitutions will be made for participants who have purchased courses that do not align with their MOC requirement.
The course and its materials will only be available on the ASTRO website until January 8, 2026, regardless of purchase date. At the expiration of the qualification, participants will no longer have access to the course or its materials. ASTRO reserves the right to remove a course before the end of its qualification period.
One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.