ASTRO ROCKS: Transitioning from Residency to K-Funded Physician Scientist: Pathways to Success
In this Research-Oriented Career Knowledge and Support (ROCKS) web session, we will discuss the different pathways to obtaining a coveted K award and ultimately a physician-scientist position. There are many paths to a K award, each with their own pros and cons. What path you take depends largely on mentorship, timing of opportunities, and some luck. In this session, we will have three physician-scientists who each took a different path which ended in a K award and independent research position. We are also pleased to present Dr. Terence Williams, a physician-scientist, and Chair of the Department of Radiation Oncology at City of Hope, who will discuss what he looks for in a physician-scientist candidate.
This activity is available from July 13, 2022, through 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on June 12, 2025.
Medical students, residents, fellows, and junior faculty interested in physician-scientist (or clinician-scientist) careers in radiation oncology.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Understand the different pathways that can lead to K-award funding.
- Learn about the timing of applying to K awards and faculty positions.
- Learn what professional attributes are desired to obtain physician-scientist faculty positions.
- Pippa Cosper, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin)
- Aadel Chaudhuri, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor, Washington University in St. Louis)
- Aparna Kesarwala, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor, Emory University)
- Ravi Patel, MD, PhD (Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh)
- Terence Williams, MD, PhD (Professor and Chair, City of Hope)
Questions can be directed to Science@ASTRO.org.
The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing education to physicians.
ASTRO is awarded Deemed Status by the American Board of Radiology to provide SA-CME as part of Part II Maintence of Certification.
- 1.00 Certificate of AttendanceThis activity was designated for 0.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
The course and its materials will only be available on the ASTRO website for that 3 year period regardless of purchase date. At the expiration of the qualification, participants will no longer have access to the course or its materials. ASTRO reserves the right to remove a course before the end of its qualification period.
One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.