ASTRO ROCKS: Overcoming Challenges of Prioritizing Academic Research
Webinar Date: December 13, 2023
Webinar Time: 3:30 p.m. Eastern time
You will receive your Zoom log on link the morning of the webinar.
In this Research-Oriented Career Knowledge and Support (ROCKS) web session, we will hear from five successful researchers within academic radiation oncology departments. We will learn the opportunities and barriers associated with prioritizing academic research, and we will hear from leaders in the field about their practical suggestions for how to prioritize research given the clinical pressures in radiation oncology. We will gain motivation to navigate competing academic priorities to favor our research interests.
This activity is available from December 13, 2023, through 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 12, 2026.
The target audience is anyone interested in academic research. This includes medical students, residents, fellows, and junior faculty in radiation oncology and medical physics.
At the end of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe common challenges in pursuing academic research careers.
- Understand how to prioritize research in academic setting.
- Gain practical insights as to the requisite support and time management needed to pursue research.
- Sarah Kerns, PhD, MPH, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Alexander Spektor, MD, PhD, Harvard Medical School
- Paul Harari, MD, FASTRO, University of Wisconsin (Featured Speaker)
- Carmen Bergom, MD, PhD, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
- Rebecca Howell, PhD, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Heath Skinner, MD, PhD, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- David Yu, MD, PhD, Emory University School of Medicine
The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing education to physicians.
ASTRO is awarded Deemed Status by the American Board of Radiology to provide SA-CME as part of Part II Maintence of Certification.
- 1.50 Certificate of AttendanceThis activity was designated for 0.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
The course and its materials will only be available on the ASTRO website for that 3 year period regardless of purchase date. At the expiration of the qualification, participants will no longer have access to the course or its materials. ASTRO reserves the right to remove a course before the end of its qualification period.
One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.