2023 Coding and Coverage Seminar - Radiation Oncology Coding Landscape and Prior Authorization
This activity is available from January 31, 2024, through 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on March 15, 2024.
1. Physician Supervision: Site of Service Distinctions and Recent Changes
This session will explore Supervision policies as they apply in both the hospital and freestanding setting. It will address key questions that frequently arise and provide resources for establishing practice specific supervision policies.
2. Prior Authorization: Why it’s Gotten so bad and What We Are Doing About It
This session will provide an overview of recent payer PA policy changes, provide tips PA avoidance, as well as ASTRO's efforts to fight back against egregious PA policies and how you can get involved.
3. Radiation Oncology Case Rate (ROCR) Introduction & Its Potential Impact on Coding/Billing
4. E/M Coding Update and Refresher
This session will provide an overview of key changes effective January 1, 2024, as well as review regular coding questions/areas of confusion.
This activity was originally recorded at the 2023 Coding and Coverage Seminar.
This activity is designed to meet the interests of radiation oncologists, physicists, radiation therapists, radiation dosimetrists, practice administrators, certified coders and professional coders.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the intricacies of the differing supervision levels and requirements.
- Identify updated supervision rules based on the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule 2024 final rule from CMS.
- Identify any necessary changes to current practice patterns if needed.
- Identify when to correctly use audio/visual technologies for certain radiation oncology services.
- Describe the current burden PA puts on physicians and practice staff.
- Explain the impact of the 2024 Medicare Contract year final rule on prior authorization for Medicare Advantage plans.
- Improve insight into ASTRO’s advocacy efforts to curb that burden and how they can get involved in advocacy efforts.
- Recognize how to successfully appeal inappropriate denials to private payors.
Constantine Mantz, MD, FASTRO, is employed by Genesis Care.
Emilio Beatley, BS, is employed by the American Society for Radiation Oncology.
Amar Rewari, MD, MBA, is employed by Luminus Health and holds leadership positions with ASTRO.
The person(s) above served as the developer(s) of this activity. Additionally, the Education Committee had control over the content of this activity. All relevant relationships have been mitigated.
The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing education to physicians.
ASTRO is awarded Deemed Status by the American Board of Radiology to provide SA-CME as part of Part II Maintenance of Certification.
- 1.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education for physicians. ASTRO designates this Enduring material for a maximum of 1.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.75 Certificate of AttendanceThis activity was designated for 1.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
ASTRO members must log in to the ASTRO website to view and receive the member rate.
Student/Grad Student/PGY: $35*
*Residents and Students can join ASTRO for free to receive the discounted rates.
Membership Application: https://www.astro.org/MyAstro/MyProfile/Membership-Application
No refunds, extensions, or substitutions will be made for those participants who, for any reason, have not completed the course by the end of the qualification date. The qualification date for each course is listed in the course catalog on the ASTRO website under availability.
Participants using ASTRO's online courses to satisfy the requirement of a Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program should verify the number, type and availability dates of any course before making a purchase. No refunds, extensions, or substitutions will be made for participants who have purchased courses that do not align with their MOC requirement.
The course and its materials will only be available on the ASTRO website until March 15, 2024, regardless of purchase date. At the expiration of the qualification, participants will no longer have access to the course or its materials. ASTRO reserves the right to remove a course before the end of its qualification period.
One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.