Welcome to ASTRO’s APEx surveyor orientation covering HIPAA compliance training. HIPAA, which stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, was a broad statute that addressed a wide variety of topics. This training session will focus on the HIPAA requirements to protect the privacy and security of protected health information, which is referred to as PHI.
This course is designed to train APEx surveyors on the requirements of HIPAA privacy and security compliance prior to conducting facility reviews.
In this course, you will review
- Important definitions in HIPAA
- How you can and cannot use or disclose PHI
- Individual rights that patients have with respect to their protected health information
- How to address breaches of protected health information
- Safeguards that are in place to protect the privacy and security of protected health information
- The requirement to mitigate the harmful effects of any impermissible uses or disclosures of PHI
- The latest version of Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3 or later, download at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Note: Recent updates to Chrome affected our APEx courses in the Academy. To fix this issue, go to Google Chrome > Settings > Advanced > Privacy and security > Content settings > Flash > Allow and then add the academy.astro.org site.